Side-streams mapping and optimisation according to circular economy needs
- A full characterization of the side-streams at Lleida case study site will be conducted.
- The insect and microbial biomass
conversion processes and Down Stream Process (DSP) will be tailored to the specific compositions of the case study site side-streams.
- A mapping of the waste biomass and off-gases conversion potential in 4 additional bio-based industries will be carried out.
- An evaluation of the regulatory and market penetration barriers of the final bio-based products will be performed.
- A first feasibility study of the CHEERS approach will be conducted.
APR 2023 – JUL 2026 | Led by PROTEINSECTA
The insect platform supports the bioconversion of bagasse to an insect protein ingredient to produce 2 protein rich drinks. The design of the insect demo platform will be based on WP1. Its performance will be evaluated through ad hoc formulated diets using real site side-streams (mainly bagasse), and based on physical-chemical and nutritional and storage conditions analysis.
The specific objectives are:
- Basic & detailed engineering of the demo insect breeding unit.
- Commissioning, construction and set up at the case study site.
- Long-term validation, assessment, and optimization of its performance to cope with intermediate and product specifications.
APR 2023 – JUL 2026 | Led by AQUALIA
The microbial platform comprises the microbial conversion of CO2 into caproic acid and hypochlorite, and of CH4 into Single Cell Protein (SCP) and ectoine. The design of the demo units will be based on WP1. The performance of the microbial platform will be assessed under real conditions and intermediates will be fully characterized for their DSP (WP4) and validation (WP5).
The specific objectives are:
- Basic and detailed engineering of the demo CO2 and CH4 conversion units.
- Commissioning, construction and set-up of the demo units.
- Long-term validation, assessment, and optimization of their performance to cope with intermediates and product specifications.
Integration and cascading processing
The novel insect and microbial biomass produced from the upgrading of bagasse, wastewater, CO2 and CH4 in WP3 will be processed to obtain insect protein flour, caproic acid, hypochlorite, SCP and ectoine complying with the specifications of WP5. The design and/or operation of the DSP demo units integrated in the insect and microbial platforms will be based on WP1 and involves:
- Basic and detailed engineering of the demo DSP units (where applicable)
- Commissioning, construction and set up of the demo DSP units (where applicable)
- Long-term validation, assessment, and optimization of their performance to cope with WP5 specifications.
Bio-based product development and validation
FEB 2025 – AUG 2026 | Led by SYMRISE
The final bioproducts need to meet the relevant standards and market requirements to ensure market uptake and consumer/end-user acceptance.
Validation of final products, namely 2 new drinks enriched with insect protein ingredient, caproic acid enriched feed, chlorine-based disinfectant, ectoine-based cosmetic and SCP-based petfood, will be tested according the requirements of each destination market.
Environmental & economic impact and exploitation strategy
SEP 2022 – JUL 2026 | Led by ZHAW
The technical and economic feasibility of the CHEERS biorefinery and identification of the optimal scale and operating conditions for optimal integration of the 5 value chains will be carried out.
The environmental, social and economic sustainability performance of CHEERS will be assessed and compared with non-plant biomass alternatives using a Life Cycle Sustainability (LCSA) approach. This will also include an assessment of the life cycle biodiversity impacts on the relevant industries and their supply chain.
Integrated sustainability assessment and development of business models will be performed at three brewery size-scales.
Communication and Dissemination
SEP 2022 – AUG 2026 | Led by AINIA
- To define the messages of CHEERS
- To identify target audiences and prospective end-users
- To inform the target audiences about the the project and its relevance
- To maximise the impact of the project and its research and innovation
- To support market acceptance of CHEERS and its results
SEP 2022 – AUG 2026 | Led by MAHOU
This Work Package aims at coordinating activities and assuring good communication within the consortium and EC, and between Work Packages, to guarantee deliverables presentation and the achievement of all milestones, and to monitor/solve any issue during CHEERS execution. It considers the financial control and risk assessment.